Special visitors

Student visitor

This category is for people (over 18) coming to study in the UK for up to 6 months provided they have been accepted on an approved course of study, intend to leave the UK at the end of their course and can be maintained and accommodated without recourse to public funds. This subcategory also will be suitable for adult students coming to the UK to take English Language course for up to 11 months.


Prospective student

This category is for people who intend to undertake a course of study within 6 months of their entry to the UK. If within that period they are able to meet the requirements for an extension of stay as a Tier 4 Student Migrant, they can make an appropriate application for leave to remain in that capacity. They must however intend to leave the UK if they are unsuccessful in their intention to become a student.

Child visitors

A person under 18 who wishes to come to the UK for a visit must apply for a visa as a Child Visitor. In addition to the requirements for adult visitors, suitable arrangements have to be made for the child's travel to the UK and reception and care once in the UK.

Parent of a Child at School

This is for parents of children under 12 years of age who are attending a private day-school in the UK. The visa can be given for up to 12 months. Parents are not permitted to work and must be able to support themselves during their stay in the UK.

Visits for private medical treatment

If you are coming to the UK to receive private medical treatment you must apply in this category. Such visitors should demonstrate that they can maintain and accommodate themselves during their visit. These visas are given for treatment of a fixed duration, for example an operation. These visas are given for a maximum of six months. It is possible in certain circumstances to apply for an extension where this is supported by the medical practitioner giving the treatment.

Marriage or Civil Partnership visitors

If you want to come to the UK to get married or register a civil partnership, and you and your partner intend to leave the country within 6 months, you can apply under this category. If you want to live in the UK after your marriage or civil partnership ceremony, you cannot use this category and should refer to the information on family relationships.

Visitors in transit

If you want to come to the UK for up to 48 hours on your way to another country, you can come here as a visitor in transit. If you come to the UK as a visitor in transit, you cannot extend your permission to stay beyond 48 hours.


Please contact us for more detailed information and professional immigration support.


General and Family visitors Business visitors Special visitors Tier 1 (Investor) Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) Tier 2 (General) Tier 4 (General) Student Tier 4 (Child) Student Settling in the UK / British Citizenship